I have poison ivy on my neck and a little creeping up to my face. I've had poison ivy much worse before, but that was during the summer and now I have to find ways to deal with it during school. I've looked and there are a lot of remedies for reducing the itch. But my problem is, poison ivy not only itches, but it grosses me out. I don't like looking at it. But I especially can't TOUCH it. I'm trying to avoid any solutions that involve putting something on the rash. But what else can I do? During the school day it's TORTURE, and I can't stand the itch. Does anyone have any suggestions, on how to subdue and/or shorten the itch?
Nobody should get poison ivy more than once. It's a very distinctive looking plant, and you know it's in your area, so you should be able to avoid it totally.
Whether your itchy rash is from poison ivy, oak, or sumac, you've got plenty of choices to get relief. For most folks, those annoying bumps and blisters will be nothing but a bad memory in a few weeks.
If you think your skin rubbed up against one of the poisonous plants, wash the area thoroughly with soap and cool water right away. The sooner you clean your skin, the more likely you'll be able to remove the oils that cause an allergic reaction. It's also a good idea to wash all clothes and shoes that may have touched one of the plants, too.
A rash due to poison ivy, oak, or sumac may show up right away. But sometimes it can take a few days after you had contact with the plant for a rash to appear.
Home Remedies for Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac
Even though your rash can go away on its own in 1 to 3 weeks, your skin will feel better if you take some steps at home.
To help with oozing problems, try over-the-counter creams or lotions that you put on the rash, such as:
For itchiness, apply baking soda or colloidal oatmeal to your skin. And for an oozing rash, give aluminum acetate a try.
You can also get relief from a steroid cream if you use it during the first few days after you get a rash. But experts say over-the-counter steroids, such as 1% hydrocortisone, may not be strong enough to do the job. Your doctor may need to prescribe a stronger version.
Some folks take antihistamines, but they won't make your itchiness go away. Antihistamines that make you feel sleepy, though, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), can help you take your mind off the itchy feeling when you go to bed.
Your skin will feel better if you soak in a bathtub with cool water and an oatmeal-based bath product. Or place a cool, wet compress on the rash for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, a few times a day.
There are a few things to avoid. As tough as it is to resist, don't scratch the blisters. Bacteria on your hands can get into the blisters and lead to an infection.
Also, some creams or ointments can make your rash worse. Don't use any of these:
Antihistamine creams or lotions
Anesthetic creams with benzocaine
Antibiotic creams with neomycin or bacitracin
You can find more advice by typing "poison ivy treatment" into the url bar in your browser.
Over the counter Benadryl helps, but nothing removes the poison from your body. Now that you know you are allergic to this stuff, STAY AWAY FROM IT, BECAUSE YOU CAN AND WILL REACT TO IT FROM NOW ON. I am so allergic to poison oak, I catch it just by being close to the plant. whoever told you you can't catch it again is WRONG. DONT TOUCH THE SORES, DONT SCRATCH IT, and yes, it's ugly. I had it so bad on my face one time, I looked like a reptilian. You just have to let it run it's course.