.When i came home there was some white furry mould growing on part of the kitchen wall at about waist height. The house is double glazed and the heating was left to come on at 10 degrees,None of the windows were left open so the place was sealed.I washed the stuff off with dilute bleach solution , but wonder how I can stop this happening next time I go away.I have no rising damp. all damp coursed three years ago.
As an air conditioning technician, now retired, my suggestion is to avoid bleach. Any small spore thread can be moved anywhere in the home. Bleach removes the natural barriers to allow normal bacteria to help keep mold spores out of the way.
Now as an air quality control specialist, confirm the other side of the wall which had no reason to mold has not been filled with those spores. (drywall replacement is a must unless you have a true sense of why the mold happened.) example a leaking pipe.
You mentioned waist high. The drywall to that wall is perhaps set not up and down but sideways. Be certain to use a breathing mast before opening the wall. The measure width of drywall is 4 foot.
Removing mold is a task you do not want to get into. Mold injested into your lungs can begin to grow there causing life challenges to you later in life.
Cleaning. one pail of water. baking soda. Borax. 1/2 box baking soda and one tablespoon borax.
Keep washing all over the home. Carpets have them professionally cleaned with sanitizer.
This is a basic first start to home cleaning of molds.